Hey, I'm Tamsin a health and fitness blogger from Surrey. On my blog you'll find healthy recipes, fitness class reviews, information on fitness trends, reviews of healthy restaurants and cafes as well as lots of other things relating to a healthy lifestyle.
My boyfriend had his birthday this weekend and so I made him a lemon drizzle cake. I’m not going to pretend that this is the healthiest cake you could make because it’s not but it is simply delicious and definitely worth making for a cheat day or a birthday 😉
225g unsalted butter
4 medium eggs
One can of light condensed milk
55g ground almonds
225g self raising flour
1tsp of baking powder
1tbsp of poppyseeds
200g of icing sugar
1)Heat oven to 180/160f fan/gas mark 5.
2) Grease a 20cm loose bottomed cake tin.
3) Put the butter, eggs, milk, almonds, baking powder, flour and poppyseeds in a large mixing bowl. Add the grated zest and juice of 1 lemon and whisk together until smooth and light in colour.
4) Bake for 50-55 until the cake turns golden.
5) Prepare the lemon syrup by mixing the the juice of 3 lemons with 100g of icing sugar in a saucepan on a low heat.
6) Make holes all over the cake using a skewer and pour the syrup over the top so it is absorbed into the sponge.
7) Leave the cake to cool.
8) Once cool then make the icing by adding the juice of one lemon to the leftover 100g of icing sugar and mix until a thick pouring texture is formed. (Ensure you add the juice slowly and that the mixture does not become too runny)
9) Drizzle over the icing and it is ready to serve!