Hey, I'm Tamsin a health and fitness blogger from Surrey. On my blog you'll find healthy recipes, fitness class reviews, information on fitness trends, reviews of healthy restaurants and cafes as well as lots of other things relating to a healthy lifestyle.
My boyfriend had his birthday this weekend and so I made him a lemon drizzle cake. I’m not going to pretend that this is the healthiest cake you could make because it’s not but it is simply delicious and definitely worth making for a cheat day or a birthday 😉
225g unsalted butter
4 medium eggs
One can of light condensed milk
55g ground almonds
225g self raising flour
1tsp of baking powder
1tbsp of poppyseeds
200g of icing sugar
1)Heat oven to 180/160f fan/gas mark 5.
2) Grease a 20cm loose bottomed cake tin.
3) Put the butter, eggs, milk, almonds, baking powder, flour and poppyseeds in a large mixing bowl. Add the grated zest and juice of 1 lemon and whisk together until smooth and light in colour.
4) Bake for 50-55 until the cake turns golden.
5) Prepare the lemon syrup by mixing the the juice of 3 lemons with 100g of icing sugar in a saucepan on a low heat.
6) Make holes all over the cake using a skewer and pour the syrup over the top so it is absorbed into the sponge.
7) Leave the cake to cool.
8) Once cool then make the icing by adding the juice of one lemon to the leftover 100g of icing sugar and mix until a thick pouring texture is formed. (Ensure you add the juice slowly and that the mixture does not become too runny)
9) Drizzle over the icing and it is ready to serve!
This recipe combines two of my favourite things – apricots and pistachios so it was bound to be a hit! This is one of my favourite things i’ve baked to date and is delicious as a snack or as a dessert.
For the loaf –
150g fat free natural yoghurt
150g golden caster sugar
2 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
210g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
125g dried apricots
For the topping –
75g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp of chopped pistachios
Preheat oven 180oc, fan 160oc, gas mark 5
Grease a loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper
Whisk the yoghurt, oil, caster sugar, eggs and vanilla extract
Mix in the flour, baking powder and apricot until a thick batter is formed
Pour into the loaf tin and cook for approx 55 minutes (use the skewer test to tell when the loaf is done)
Leave to cool
Mix together the lemon juice and icing sugar to form a thick icing
Drizzle over the loaf and sprinkle with pistachios
I am attempting to get my family to adapt to a healthier lifestyle so made my first homemade burgers. I served these with sweet potato fries (3 sweet potatoes worth) as they are a favourite of mine and some broccoli. The burgers came out really well and I can’t believe it’s taken me till now to make them, will definitely be making again in the future.
This recipe makes approx 4 burgers depending on how large/small you want to make them.
500g Turkey Mince
3 Spring Onions
60g grated low fat cheese
Chop the spring onions across ways so they become small circles
Mix the onion with the mince and cheese
Refrigerate for around 15-20 minutes
Grill on a medium heat for approx 25 minutes until they are golden brown